- Ensure you have a valid Tool Library membership by either signing up as a new member or renewing your existing membership.
- Stop by our storefront, located at 5 W. Northrup Place, during our regular hours of operation.
- Our location is transit accessivle via the NFTA Metro. Parking is also available on street along West Northrup Place as well as behind our building. Please DO NOT block the driveway alongside our building. The pizza delivery people will get very spicy 😉
- We are only allowing one person into the shop at a time. If someone is already in The Tool Library when you arrive, please wait outside on one of the teal X’s until they exit.
- When entering the shop, we ask that all members remain in the front room of The Tool Library and allow the volunteer on duty to collect your tools for you.
- There will be an optional contract tracing sign-in sheet available for you to fill out.
- If you would like an item that is currently being borrowed, our volunteers will are your name to a waitlist and contact you when said tool is available. Please note that due to high demand, we can only hold tools for 48 hours.
- Please sanitize your tools before returning them to The Tool Library. Recommended ways to sanitize tools can be found on the CDC’s website.
- Please make sure The Tool Library is empty before going in to drop off your tools.
- There will be a table labeled “RETURNS” to your left as you enter the shop.
- Please place your tools to be returned on the table. If tools are too large or heavy to be placed on the table, please place underneath or next to the returns table.
- Our volunteer on duty will check the tools in, discuss any late/cleaning fees, and ensure everything works properly before taking them to sanitize.
MEMBERSHIP SIGN-UP & RENEWAL
We still encourage everyone to process their membership sign-ups and membership renewals remotely via our website and the myTurn platform, which can be done here. If you’ve forgotten your account password, you can reset it via the email you have on file with us.
Our volunteers will begin allowing in-person sign-ups and renewals as well.
We advise that people in the most at-risk groups (older people and people with immunocompromisation) do not come in to participate in tool borrowing. If you are in one of these groups and need assistance, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate or connect you to help.
We ask that those individuals who are exhibiting flu-like symptoms and/or have come in contact with someone known to be sick please refrain from visiting The Tool Library and borrowing tools. Common symptoms of the influenza virus may include the following: High Fever, Headaches, Fatigue, Cough, Sore Throat, Runny or Stuffy Nose, Body Aches, Diarrhea and/or Vomiting. According to the CDC, common symptoms of the novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19, may include: Fever, Cough, Shortness of Breath and/or Difficulty Breathing. If you are experiencing even mild symptoms, or have come in contact with anyone who is ill, please stay home.